A healthy kuzhambu just with leftovers!I usually have leftovers when it comes to veggies like pumpkins, lady’s finger, brinjal etc. What can be done with these veggies? We cannot makeNavaratna Kuruma using these…it would not be a rich gravy. At last, tried this Oriya’s recipe called Santula. It came out well. I was very much satisfied that I had used all my left overs at one shot and also gave a tasty kuzhambu for my family. I prefer making this kuzhambu again and again whenever I have these veggies left behind.
Lady’s finger – 1/2 cup (Half-Boiled)
Pumpkin cubes – 1/2 cup
Brinjal cubes – 1/2 cup
Plantain cubes – 1/2 cup
Potato cubes – 1/2 cup (Boiled)
If you want, you can add any vegetables but for this Oriya dish, you use only these veggies.
Onion cubes – 1 no.
Mustard seeds (kadugu) – 1 teaspoon
Finely chopped ginger – 2 teaspoons
Finely chopped garlic – 2 teaspoons
Red chillies – 3 nos.
Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin powder (seeraga thool) – 1 teaspoon
Oil – 2 tablespoons
Salt – as desired
1. Cut vegetables in the same size.
2. In a pan, heat oil. Put mustard seeds and let it pop out. Add ginger, garlic, and plantain. Fry till the plantain is half-fried.
3. Then, add brinjal and onions. Fry well.
4. Now, add lady’s finger, potatoes, pumpkin, red chillies, and 2 cups of water. Close the pan using a lid and boil for 2 minutes.
5. Then, add turmeric powder, cumin powder, and salt. Finally, boil for 5 minutes. Bring the pan down.
Now, Santula is ready!!!
Serve: With Rice, Chapathis, Idlis, or Dosas.