My thatha loves my mom’s fish kuzhambu very much. Though my mom adds vegetables like lady’s finger, mango, brinjal etc. her fish kuzhambu recipe remains the same. I also like her fish kuzhambu very much.
My father loves to eat fish often so this is a dish that my mom makes at least thrice a week. I am not bored of having it again and again. Before my marriage, I did not get the time to learn the recipe from her. After my marriage, my husband requested me to learn the Fish Kuzhambu from her. May be he wanted a change from the regular Fish Curries I make like Chennai Fish Kuzhambu, Chettinadu Fish Kuzhambu and other versions of Fish Kuzhambu. After having Sanvi in our life, our intake of fish has increased a lot that’s because Sanvi likes fish. Sanvi prefers Simple Fish Fryand this Fish Kuzhambu. Even this afternoon, she had Simple Fish Fry . Have to wait and see if Shreeya is going to join us.
Preparation Time. 10 minutes
Cook Time. 20 minutes
Serves. 3 nos.
Recipe Cuisine. Indian
Recipe Category. Main Course
Fish – 6 pieces
Chopped onion – 1 cup
Chopped tomatoes – 1.5 cups
Saunf powder (sombu thool) – 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin powder (seeraga thool) – 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder (manjal thool) – 1/2 teaspoon
Chilli powder (milaga thool) – 2 teaspoon
Coriander powder (daniya thool) – 3 teaspoon
Coriander leaves – 2 sprigs
Salt – as desired
Fenugreek seeds – 1 teaspoon
Garlic cloves – 12 nos.
Gingelly oil – 1 tablespoon
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Heat oil in a pan and add fenugreek seeds and garlic cloves. Now add chopped onions.
2. When onions turn transparent, add saunf and cumin powders. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes. Add turmeric powder and chilli powder. Saute for a minute, add tomatoes and then finally add coriander powder. Sauté well until the raw smell of the powders go off and tomatoes turn mushy.
3. When the raw smell goes off, add 1.5 cups of water and boil for 3 to 4 minutes. When the mixture thickens, reduce the flame to slow-medium and add the fish. Boil for 5 minutes. When the fish pieces are cooked, garnish with coriander leaves, stir well for one last time and serve.
Now, Fish Kuzhambu is ready!
1. Apply 2 teaspoons of vinegar or 2 teaspoons of thick tamarind juice or even juice of half lemon on both the sides of the fish for few minutes. Then, wash the fish. This will help to clean the fish and remove the odor from the fish to a certain extent.
2. Fish gets cooked faster so allow the kuzhambu to boil well. Add the fish pieces just before the kuzhambu is done and boil for 5 minutes.
3. If you cook and eat it on the next day, the kuzhambu will be even more tastier.