I love Fish and Raw Mango combination very much. My paternal grandmother makes Raw Mango Fish Kuzhambu very often. My grandparents lived right opposite to a lake so they ate fishes most of the time. Whenever we visited her, she would make this Raw Mango Fish Kuzhambu. Sometimes, she made yam fish combination and sweet potato fish combination. She passed away three years back. Apart from missing her, I also miss her yummy Raw Mango Fish Kuzhambu. Though I did not learn the recipe from her, whenever I made Fish Kuzhambu at home, it will only bring nostalgic memories to me. I learned this recipe from Chef Dhamu in a television show and tried it out three days back. Wanted to post it right away so that you can also enjoy the taste of fish kuzhambu. Very easy to make and preparation varies lightly from the normal Fish Kuzhambu. I know I have posted few recipes on different versions of Fish Kuzhambu like Chennai Fish Kuzhambu,Chettinadu Fish Kuzhambu, Fish Kuzhambu,Fish Kuzhambu – Amma’s Recipe, but this one stands apart. Now it is the season of mangoes, so just try this combo and you will like it.
Preparation Time. 10 minutes
Cooking Time. 20 minutes
Recipe Cuisine. South Indian
Recipe Category. Side Dish
Recipe Reference. Chef Dhamu
Serves. 3 persons
Fish – 1/2 kg.
Raw mango – 1 no.
Chopped onion – 1.5 cups
Chopped tomato – 1.5 cups
Tamarind – a lemon size
Green chillies – 2 nos.
Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Chilli powder – 2 teaspoon
Coriander powder – 3 teaspoon
Whole pepper (milagu) – 2 teaspoon
Garlic Pod – 2 nos.
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Red Chillies – 2 nos.
Fenugreek seeds (Vendhayam) – 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves (Karuvepillai) – 2 sprigs
Gingelly oil – 2 tablespoon
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. In a mixing bowl, add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilli powder, and coriander powder. Extract tamarind juice using 1 cup of water. Add the tamarind juice to the mixing bowl, and combine all the ingredients well.
2. In a wide-bottomed pan, heat sesame oil. Add mustard seeds and when it splutters, add red chillies. Then add curry leaves and fenugreek seeds followed by chopped onion.
3. Fry onion for 2 to 3 minutes, and then add garlic cloves. Fry until onions turn transparent. Then add sliced raw mango pieces.
4. Fry the raw mango pieces well. Then add the tamarind paste mixture along with some salt.
5. Cook for 5 minutes and then add a cup of water. Boil well until the Kuzhambu comes to a thick or your desired consistency.
6. Add fish pieces and coriander leaves. Cook until the fish pieces are cooked.
Now Raw Fish Mango Kuzhambu is ready!
1. If you serve this kuzhambu after 2 hours, it would be more tasty.
2. Apply 2 teaspoons of vinegar or 2 teaspoons of thick tamarind juice or even juice of half lemon on both the sides of the fish for few minutes. Then, wash the fish. This will help to clean the fish and remove the odor from the fish to a certain extent.
3. Fish gets cooked faster so allow the kuzhambu to boil well. Add the fish pieces just before the kuzhambu is done and boil for 5 minutes.
4. If you cook and eat it on the next day, the kuzhambu will be even more tastier.