Recipe Source. Ms. Amudha Ramesh (The Hindu)
Pepper Chicken Gravy is a sure cure for cold, cough and body ache.
Chicken – 250 gm
Small onions – 10 to 12 nos.
Curry leaves (karuvepillai) – 1 sprig
Mustard seeds (kadugu) – 1/2 teaspoon
Cloves (crambu) – 2 nos.
Cinnamon (lavangam) – 2 small nos.
Curry masala powder – 1 teaspoon (if not use garam masala powder)
Salt – as required
Oil – 2 teaspoons
For the Marinade
Pepper corns (milagu) – 3 teaspoons
Red chilli – 2 nos.
Coriander powder (daniya thool) – 2 teaspoons
Cumin seeds (seeragam) – 1 teaspoon
Garlic (poondu) – 8 cloves
1. In a mixie/blender, add garlic pods, red chilli, cumin seeds, pepper corns and coriander powder. Make a fine paste by adding little water. Marinate the washed chicken in this paste with salt for one hour.
2. Pressure cook the marinated chicken with required water (say 2.5 glasses of water) for one whistle.
3. Heat oil in a separate pan, and sputter the mustard seeds. Add curry leaves, cloves and cinnamon, followed by finely sliced small onions and sauté till golden brown.
4. Add curry masala powder (or garam masala powder) and pour over the chicken gravy. Add salt as required. Close with the lid and simmer, stirring in between till the gravy is thick enough.
Now, Pepper Chicken Gravy is ready!
- If you want a thicker gravy like the picture below, then keep cooking the gravy until your desired consistency is reached.
- If you want to make a fry, allow the gravy to cook till the water drains.
Serve. With rice, rotis and dosa.