Badam Halwa is my all-time favorite halwa. My friends usually make Badam Halwa for Diwali. I did not have the chance to taste it. Somehow, I had the thought that the preparation of this halwa would be a cumbersome job.
Just two years back, when we went to dine in Hotel Saravana Bhavan, I happened to taste this Halwa. Instantly, I fell in love with it. For one week, I felt the halwa taste in my tongue. Then, I decided to try it out at home. Last Krishna Jayanthi, I went through a lot of websites and came out with the below Badam Halwa recipe. My husband loved it. I also made the same for my friends, and they also loved it. Do try it out and I am sure you will also like it!
Preparation Time. 15 minutes (includes soaking time)
Cook Time. 20 minutes
Recipe Cuisine. Indian
Recipe Category. Sweet
Shelf Life. Refrigerated (5 days)
Almonds (Badam) – 1 Cup
Sugar – 1 Cup
Ghee – 3 Tablespoons
Almond Essence or Vanilla Essence – 3 Drops (Optional)
Cardamom Powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
Yellow Food Color or Any Color – a Pinch (Optional)
Saffron – Few Strings
Milk – Less than 1/4 Cup
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
2. Grind the peeled Almonds (Badam) to a coarse paste using little milk say less than 1/4 cup of milk. If you feel you need to add more milk, add more milk or even water. Milk tastes best. Wipe of the sides and grind it once again just to make sure the Almonds (Badam) is grinded evenly. Heat a non-stick pan on a medium flame. Put sugar and 1/4 cup of water and boil well until sugar dissolves.
3. Add the ground almond paste and stir well to avoid lumps. Now, add saffron soaked in lukewarm milk, food color, cardamom powder, and essence. Stir continuously and add a teaspoon of Ghee in regular intervals till the mixture becomes solid and leaves the sides of the vessel.
Add Ghee only after almond mixture has atleast cooked for 5 mins.
Stir continuously to prevent Badam Halwa from getting burnt.
When Badam Halwa starts to bubble and splash, be careful while stirring it.
While stirring, if Badam Halwa stick to the bottom of the pan, add more Ghee.
4. There are three ways to check the right consistency of Almond Halwa:
a. Badam Halwa would become solid and start leaving the sides of the pan.
b. Take very little halwa in your hand and make a tiny ball. If it does not stick to your fingers, the consistency is right. (Refer 2nd picture)
c. When you see white bubbles at the bottom where you stir, the consistency is right. (Refer 3rd picture)
When you get the right consistency, pour it in a greased plate to let it cool down.
Now, the Badam Halwa is ready!
Serving Suggestion. You can serve it either warm or cold.
Cut Into Shapes
Grease a flat plate using Ghee. When Badam Halwa reaches the correct consistency, pour it in the plate. Level the Halwa using a flat spoon or wax paper/ziplock cover. When Badam Halwa reaches a lukewarm state, cut it into shapes – diamond or squares or your desired shapes. Garnish each piece of Badam Halwa with some chopped Almonds (Badam) or cashews or pistachios. You may have to press these nuts a little so that they get sticked to the Halwa well.
Serve in Butter Paper
Cut the wax paper or butter paper in squares (size-according to your wish). Most of the wax paper can be microwaved. Spoon little Badam Halwa into each wax paper and fold it on all sides like how you wrap boxes.
What if I missed the right consistency?
Do not worry! If you have just missed the correct consistency, let the Badam Halwa cool down. Then, make balls like Ladoo and garnish it with chopped Almonds (Badam) slices.
- You can store the halwa in a container and refrigerate. It will be good for 5 days.
- You can also use boiled milk for grinding Almonds (Badam).
- You can also use raisins and cashew nuts for garnishing.
- You can either add saffron or any color or add both. Saffron itself would give a good flavor and natural color.
- Non-stick pan will help Badam Halwa from sticking to the pan.
- Please do not compromise on Ghee. It gives an excellent flavor to this Halwa.
- Badam Halwa consistency becomes thicker once it cools down.