Raw rice – 2 cups
Toor dal (Thuvaram paruppu) – 1/2 cup
Vegetables – carrot,potato,cabbage,peas,drumstick etc. (You can add any vegetable)
Chopped big onion – 1 cup
Chopped tomatoes – 4 nos.
Tamarind – 1 lemon size (need 2 cups of tamarind paste)
Turmeric powder (Manjal tool) – 1/2 to 1 teaspoon
Oil – 3 tablespoons
Salt – as desired
Mustard seeds (Kadugu) – 1 teaspoon
Urad dal (Ulutham paruppu) – 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves (Karuvepillai) – little
Coriander leaves (Kothamalli) – little
Ghee – 1 teaspoon
Fry and Grind
Red chillies – 6 to 8 nos.
Coriander seeds (Kothamalli vidhai) – 1 tablespoon
Channa dal (Kadalai paruppu) – 1 tablespoon
Coconut gratings – 1 tablespoon
Fenugreek seeds (Vendhayam) – 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida (Perungayam) – little
Cumin seeds (Jeeragam) – 1 teaspoon
Poppy seeds (Kasa kasa) – 1 tablespoon
Cloves – 2 nos.
Urad dal (Ulutham paruppu) – 1 tablespoon
Oil – 1 teaspoon
1. Fry the ingredients listed under “Fry and Grind” with 1 teaspoon of oil. When ingredients turn light brown, switch off the stove.
2. Let the fried ingredients come to a room temperature then grind the ingredients coarsely without adding water.
3. In a cooker, add raw rice, toor dal, 6 cups of water, salt, and turmeric powder. Cook till the rice and dal are done.
- Amount of water to cook both the dal and rice depends on the quality of the rice and dal. Make sure you add atleast 6 cups of water (4 cups for rice and 2 cups for dal).
4. Heat oil in a wide bottomed pan. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Then add urad dal followed by onions. Fry onions till they turn transparent.
5. Add the vegetables and saute for few minutes until they become little tender. Once vegetables become little soft, add tomatoes and salt and fry for few minutes.
6. Add tamarind paste (2 cups) and boil for few minutes. Then, add curry leaves and the ground paste.
- Make sure you add tamarind paste only after the vegetables are cooked.
7. Add the boiled tamarind mixture to the dal and rice mixture present in the cooker. Mix well and then add 1 teaspoon Ghee to the Bisi Bele Bath and mix well once again.
Now, Bisi Bele Bath is ready!