A simple and yummy upma!You can make a variety of dishes using bread. I love experimenting with bread. I usually stock breads. My husband just love the variety of dishes I make using bread. He likes Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich, Bread Sandwich, and Wheat Bread Capsicum Sandwich. Whenever I have many slices of bread remaining in my shelf, I make this upma. Bread Upma is a dish where you could add any ingredients like cashews, capsicum, peas, etc. We can add anything for taste, and it would come out well. Sometimes, I make it for dinner also. A very handy dish where I do not have to make a sidedish. That is also one thing I love about this Bread Upma.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Makes: 2 persons
Recipe Category: Breakfast
Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Bread – 10 slices
Chopped onion – 1 no.
Chopped tomato – 1 no.
Chopped capsicum (kodamolaga/bell pepper) – 1 no. (optional)
Chopped green chillies – 2 nos.
Chopped ginger – 1″
Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
Coriander leaves – as desired
Spring onions (optional) – as desired
Salt – as desired
Mustard (kadugu) – 1/2 teaspoon
Bengal gram dal (kadalai paruppu) – 1 teaspoon
Urad dal (ulutham paruppu) – 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Cashews – 12 nos.
Oil/ghee – as desired
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
2. Now add cashews, onion, green chilly, ginger, and curry leaves and saute till onion becomes transparent. Now add capsicum and tomatoes.
3. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala, salt and fry for few minutes. Sprinkle water to keep the bread moist otherwise bread upma will be very dry and hard to swallow. Add bread pieces to the masala.
5. Mix well. Keep it in low flame for 3-4 minutes and stir in between. Sprinkle lemon juice, spring onions, and coriander leaves.
Now, Bread Upma is ready!!!
Serve. Eggs and Lime wedges.
- You can cut the crust (brown part) of the bread and use the crust for making bread crumbs or discard it.
- I have cut bread slices into small squares. Alternatively, you can add crumbled bread slices.
- You can also add 2 teaspoons of fried peanuts in step 2.
- You can add finely cut boiled carrot and beans. Make sure the veggies does not lose its crunchiness in step 3.
- You can also add cubed and par boiled potatoes in step 3.