I have a strong liking for carrots right from my childhood days. When I have surplus carrots at home, I make this Carrot Stir-Fry and Carrot Sambar often. I hardly see people who do not like carrots. For Sanvi, I make Carrot Cupcake often. She just loves it. When I am too lazy to cook elaborate meals, I make this simple and easy Carrot Poriyal. It goes well with Capsicum Sambar, Paruppu Rasam, and Oats Curd Rice. Most of the times, I will not add coconut but when I have guest at home, I will use coconut.
Preparation Time. 10 minutes
Cook Time. 15 minutes
Recipe Cuisine. Indian
Recipe Category. Side Dish
Carrot (Chopped) – 2 cups
Onion (Chopped) – 1 medium no.
Green chillies (Slitted) – 2 nos.
Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Coconut (shredded) – 2 tablespoon
Coriander leaves (chopped) – 1.5 to 2 tablespoon
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Salt – as desired
Oil – 2 teaspoon
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Urad dal – 1 teaspoon
Gram dal (channa dal) – 1 teaspoon
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Chop the carrots finely and set it aside. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add urad dal and gram dal and fry till golden brown. Then add chopped onions and green chillies.
2. When onions turn transparent, add chopped carrots and sauté for 2 minutes. Then add turmeric powder, curry leaves, and salt. Mix well and fry for two minutes.
3. Sprinkle 2 tablespoon of water. Cover the pan and cook for 3 more minutes. Now open and mix well.
4. Reduce the flame to medium-low and add grated coconut. Cook for a minute and then add coriander leaves. Give a quick stir and switch off the stove.
Now, Carrot Stir Fry is ready!
You can serve the Carrot Poriyal with the following recipes:
Cucumber Kootu, Vazhaipoo Kootu (Banana Blossom Curry), Poosanikai Mor Kuzhambu, Murungakai Poricha Kuzhambu, Mochai Kara Kuzhambu, Paruppu Rasam, Capsicum Sambar, Basil Rice (Thulasi Sadam), Bisi Bele Bath, Cucumber Rice, Oats Curd Rice, Vendekka Sadham/Lady’s Finger Rice/Bhindi Rice
1. Adding grated coconut is optional. Most of the times, I do not add them.
2. You can add chilli powder instead of green chillies.
3. Do not add water more than required and cook closing the pan. Carrots could turn very soft or even mushy.