Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Recipe Category. Side dish
Recipe Reference. Asaiva Samayal
Makes: 4 nos.
Crab – 1 kg. (5 to 6 nos)
Big onion (Chopped) – 3 nos.
Tomatoes (Chopped) – 3 nos.
Ginger garlic paste (inji poondu vizhudhu) – 2 teaspoons
Coconut milk – 2 cups
Chilli powder – 2 teaspoons
Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Coriander leaves – 1 sprig
Salt – as desired
Oil – 2 tablespoon
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Heat oil in a pan and add chopped onions. Fry onions until they turn light brown. Add ginger garlic paste and curry leaves. Cook till the raw smell of ginger garlic paste goes off. Add chopped tomatoes and fry well.
2. Once the tomatoes turn mushy, add chilli powder, turmeric powder, and salt. Fry for three more minutes.
3. Add two cups of water and let it boil well. Then add two cups of coconut milk and boil well.
4. Add crab one by one. Cook the crab for two to three minutes on one side, and then turn the crab to cook on the other sides. Do the same for the other crabs also.
5. Turn the crabs often and boil well until the masala thickens well. When the crab has absorbed the curry well and becomes dry, switch off the stove. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Now, Crab Coconut Fry is ready!
- If the crabs are very big then you can cut them into halves or smaller portions and use them.
- If the crab has cooked then its shell color would change to orange. This is one of the ways to check if the crab is cooked.