Dal Makhani is a popular recipe of Punjab made with rajma and whole urad dal. It has a rich flavor because of ghee and cream and goes well with Rotis, Parathas and Naan. Usually Dal Makhani dish is made on occasions like birthdays, anniversary celebration, weddings etc. because of it rich flavor.
Gj and myself like Dal Makhani so much, but it should have less ghee and cream. Whenever I am lazy or busy, I make Dal Makhani and keep it for the next day also. It taste even more better on the second day. I add just 2 teaspoons of ghee, and I omit the cream. Gj is not a big fan of cream. He likes Dal Makhani just because it is healthy so he would not want me to add ghee or cream. I added cream just for the pictures. When you make Dal Makhani, just mash the dal well. It is very easy to make just that you have to plan beforehand to soak the lentils.
Preparation Time. 5 minutes
Soak Time. 8 hours or overnight
Cook Time. 20 minutes
Recipe Cuisine. Indian
Recipe Category. Main
Whole Urad Dal (black gram) – 1 cup
Red Kidney Beans (Rajma) – 1/2 cup
Onion (chopped) – 1 no.
Green Chillies – 4 to 5 nos. (increase/decrease as per your taste)
Ginger (chopped) – 1 inch
Cumin Powder – 1 teaspoon
Chilli Powder – 2 teaspoon
Garm Masala – 1 teaspoon
Coriander Leaves – 2 tablespoon
ghee/Oil – 2 tablespoon
Full Fat Cream – 3 tablespoon (optional)
Salt – as desired
1. Wash and soak the lentils in 6 cups of water for 8 hours/overnight. If you are making Dal Makhani in the morning, soak it overnight. If you are making it for the dinner, then soak it in the morning. Cook the lentils in an open vessel with 4 cups of water and little salt until rajma and urad dal are very soft. You can pressure cook them by adding 4 cups of water with little salt for 3 to 4 whistles. Strain it and reserve the stock.
2. Now using a ladle, mash the cooked rajma and urad dal well. Keep it aside.
3. Heat oil/ghee in a pan and add cumin powder. Then add chopped onion, ginger and green chillies. Saute well until onion turns transparent.
5. Now add garam masala powder, and cook for three to four minutes. Simmer the flame and add cream (optional). Cook for two minutes and then add a teaspoon of lemon juice and coriander leaves. Give a quick stir and switch off the flame.
Now Dal Makhani is ready!
Serve hot with Naans, Parathas, Kulchas and Chappathi.
- You can add cumin seeds instead of cumin powder.
- Dal Makhani taste better on the second day. Make sure you reheat it.
- Adding ghee and cream is optional.