An innovative tikka masala different from the usual chicken or paneer tikka masala!I had few mushrooms in my refrigerator and did not know what to do with it. I have made several recipes with mushroom – kuzhambu, kuruma, curry etc. I wanted to try something different this time that too with only few mushrooms at hand. Looked for a lot of recipes….Voila…here I go….Got a less spicy and tasty Mushroom Tikka Masala recipe from rasamalaysia. Initially, I thought…what…Mushroom Tikka Masala…with mushroom? OhOhOhhhhhh!!!! Wanted to try it out right away. I thought it would be similar to that of other tikka masalas. I was wrong. The other tikka masalas would have a creamy and bland taste, but this Mushroom Tikka Masala is less spicy and tasty as I said before. One of my friends tried it out and said her three year old son liked it very much. Why not give it a try, and you’ll also like it!
Mushrooms – 20 nos.
Chopped capsicum – 1 no. (Optional)
Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
Chopped large onion – 1 no.
Ginger garlic paste – 2 teaspoons
Ripe tomatoes puree – 3 nos.
Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
Chilli powder – 2 teaspoon
Coriander powder (daniya thool) – 1 teaspoon
Cumin powder (seeraga thool) – 1/2 teaspoon
Heavy cream – 2 tablespoon (Optional)
Yogurt (Thayir)- 1/4 cup
Oil – 2 tablespoons
Salt – as desired
1. Cut mushrooms into half if they are large. Combine the mushrooms, capsicum, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder, and yogurt and set aside.
2. In a pan, heat oil. When the oil is hot, add the mushrooms and capsicum. Fry the mushrooms till they become little brown. Remove from the stove top and set aside.
3. In the same pan, heat oil. When oil is hot, add the cumin seeds. When cumin seeds pop up, add the onion. Fry for 2 minutes and then add ginger garlic paste. Fry till the raw smell goes off.
4. Now add the tomato puree and then add coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, and chilli powder. Boil well. Now, sim the fire and let the masala cook for about 10-15 minutes or till the oil separates from the masala. If the masala become too thick, add water.
5. Now, add the mushrooms and capsicum to the masala and fry for 3 more minutes. Finally, add salt and heavy cream. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Now, Mushroom Tikka Masala is ready!!!