A very easy and tasty rasam!
Preparation Time. 5 minutes
Cook Time. 20 minutes
Recipe Category. Main
Recipe Cuisine. Indian
Pineapple – 2 big pieces (Peel the skin off)
Toor dal (thuvaram paruppu) – 1/2 cup (to pressure cook)
Toor dal (thuvaram paruppu) – 1 teaspoon (for seasoning)
Channa dal (kadalai paruppu) – 1/2 teaspoon
Tamarind – 1 small lemon size
Red chillies (kanja molaga) – 2 nos.
Coriander seeds (daniya vidhai) – 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin seeds (jeeragam) – 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves (karuvepillai) – 1 sprig
Peppercorns (milagu) – 1/2 teaspoon
Asafoetida (perungayam) – 1 pinch
Salt – as desired
Oil – 1 teaspoon
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Pressure cook 1/2 cup of toor dal using 2 cups of water. Meantime, extract tamarind paste by adding 1 cup of water to the tamarind.
2. Keep the tamarind paste aside. Grind Pineapple coarsely to form a puree. Reserve 3 tablespoon of some tiny Pineapple pieces to add it to the final stage of rasam. Filter the puree and keep it aside.
3. In a small pan, heat 1 teaspoon oil. Add coriander seeds, red chillies, peppercorns, Channa dal (kadalai paruppu), Toor dal (thuvaram paruppu), and cumin seeds. Fry until the dals turn golden color. In a mixie/blender, add the fried ingredients along with cumin seeds. Without adding water, grind it to form a coarse powder.
4. In a large pan, heat 2 teaspoons of oil. Add mustard seeds and when it splutters, add curry leaves followed by tamarind paste. Add salt and asafoetida. Boil the tamarind paste well, and then add ground coarse powder. Boil for two more minutes.
5. Now add boiled and mashed Toor dal (thuvaram paruppu). Boil well. Add the ground Pineapple puree and tiny bits of Pineapple to the boiling rasam, and boil for one more minute. You will see bubbles and foam forming on the corners of the pan. At this time, switch off the stove
Now, Pineapple Rasam is ready!
Serve. With Rice, Turnip Poriyal, Potato Podimass, Potato and Egg Poriyal, Potato Broccoli Fry, Plantain Fry, Kovakkai Urulai Poriyal, Chettinadu Cauliflower Fry, Brussels Sprouts Stir Fry, Broccoli Usili, Brinjal Rajma Masala, Brinjal Pirattal, Brinjal Pepper Masala, Avarakkai Verkadalai Poriyal, Beans and Carrot Poriyal, Plantain Poriyal