Boiled vegetables – 1.5 cups (Combination of peas, capsicum, cauliflower, boiled potato, carrot, and beans). I used carrot, capsicum, brussel sprouts, and potato.
Chopped onion – 1 no.
Chopped tomato – 1 no.
Green chillies – 2 (If you want it to be spicy, add more)
Ginger garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander powder (Daniya thool) – 2 teaspoons
Chilli powder (Milaga thool) – 1 teaspoon
Cumin powder (Jeera powder) – 1 teaspoon
Garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
Lemon juice – 1/2 teaspoon
Ghee – 2 teaspoons
Oil – 2 tablespoons
Coconut – 1/4 cup
Poppy seeds (Kasa Kasa) – 1 teaspoon
Cashew nuts – 7 to 9 nos.
1. Grind the coconut, cashew nuts, and poppy seeds with little water (1/2 cup of water) to a fine paste.
2. Heat oil and ghee in a non-stick pan. Fry onions till transparent. Then add ginger garlic paste and green chillies. Fry till the raw smell of the paste goes off.
3. Add the boiled vegetables and fry for 2 minutes. Then, add tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, and cumin powder. Fry for 3-4 minutes.
- You can add any vegetables you want. Sometimes, I would add soya chunk and broccoli.
- If you are adding raw vegetables, then add 1.5 cups of water and cook covered. Cook the vegetables for 8 to 10 minutes or till they are 3/4th cooked. Then add the masala powders.
4. Add 2 cups of water and boil well. Now, sim the fire and add the ground cashew-poppy seeds-coconut paste. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add garam masala powder (optional) and cook for 2 more minutes. Finally, add 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice and garnish with coriander leaves.
Now, Vegetable Kurma is ready!
- Kurma will thicken with time. If you refrigerate it, the vegetables will absorb the kurma.
- You can add 2-3 tablespoons of cream to the kurma. It would give a richer taste.
- You can add curry leaves while frying ginger garlic paste.
- You can add 2 tablespoons of curd at the end while at the time you switch off the stove. It will give a slight tanginess to the kurma.
- You can omit garam masala powder and add 1 cinnamon, 1 clove and 1 cardamom.