Spiced Puris – The Entire Family Will Cherish!
Wheat Flour – 2 and 3/4 cups
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
Ajowan Seeds (Omam) – 1 Teaspoon
Chilli Powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
Warm Water – 2/3 Cup
Salt – 1/2 Teaspoon
Vegetable Oil – 1 Tablespoon
Vegetable Oil – For Deep-Frying
1. In a bowl, combine the flour and salt. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and rub into the flour.
2. Now, add the turmeric powder, ajowan seeds, and chilli powder. Slowly, add the warm water into the spiced flour until it forms a pliable dough. Cover the bowl and set aside for 15-20 minutes.
3. After 20 minutes, divide the dough mixture into 16 balls. Roll out each ball on a lightly floured surface into a 4-inch circle.
4. In a large and heavy-bottomed pan, heat the oil for deep-frying. When the oil is hot, immerse each puri one at a time. Gently push into the oil with a spoon and leave to “puff up”, which happens almost immediately. Turn once and cook the other side for 1 -2 seconds.
5. Using a slotted spoon, remove the puri from the pan and place on paper towels to drain the oil.