BASICS of BAKING a CAKE
Before You Begin To Bake
- Clean your work surface well, and wash your hands well before you start baking.
- Check the expiration dates on all the recipe ingredients.
- Read the recipe and see whether you have all the ingredients. Follow the recipe directions.
- Make sure all your ingredients (including eggs and butter) are in room temperature before you start baking.
- Keep your measuring cups and spoons ready.
- Measure all ingredients accurately. Take the flour into a dry measuring cup, then level it off with a knife. Do not take the flour directly from the bag with a measuring cup.
While You Mix the Ingredients
- If you are using flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, icing sugar, and baking soda, sieve well as it helps to mix the ingredients uniformly. It will also help to remove the lumps.
- Do not eat raw dough or batter.
- Grease the pan using ghee or butter before pouring the cake batter into it, or line the cake pan using butter or parchment paper. If you grease your cake pan with ghee or butter, dust it lightly with the all purpose or self-rising flour. If you are using butter or parchment paper, you do not have to dust your cake pan.
- Preheat the oven for atleast 20 – 30 minutes or until your oven indicates that it is ready for baking because cake should be put straight into a hotoven only then they will arise fluffy.
- Once the cake batter is ready, immediately pour it into the baking pan and then place it directly into the oven. Do not leave the batter sitting for long as the texture of the cake would get affected.
- If you are planning to add nuts to the cake batter, dust them lightly in plain flour and then add to the batter. This will avoid the nuts sinking to the bottom of the cake.
While You Bake the Cake
- Do not open your oven door in the first fifteen minutes or till the cake is baked half way through.
- Once the cake is baked, do not leave the cake in the oven for long even if the oven is switched off. The remaining heat in the oven would cook the cake further affecting its texture and taste.
- Place the cake on the center rack in the middle of the oven.
- Make sure the cake pan does not touch the sides of the oven.
- The batter should be level in the pans.
- If you are using more than one rack when baking two or more cakes, wait until the cake is set. Then, rotate the pans during baking or just swap the pans when you are about two-thirds of the way through the baking time.
While You Handle the Cake
- Let the cake cool for about 30 minutes, then run a knife around the sides of the pan. Then, turn the pan upside down and the cake will slide out.
- To check whether the cake is done, insert a clean toothpick in the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, then the cake is ready.
How to Preheat the Oven?
Simple Cake Recipes:
NOTE. This is copyrighted @Nithyascorner. Please do not copy!
Picture1 Source. Realsimple.com