Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Makes: 4 people
Recipe Category: Lunch
Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Basmati rice – 2 cups (Wash and soak it in water for 15 mins.)
Sliced onions – 2 nos.
Grated carrot – 1.5 cups
Sliced green chillies – 4 nos. (if you wish, add more)
Cinnamon/cloves/cardamom (lavangam pattai, crambu, elakka) – each 3 nos.
Bay leaf – 2 nos.
Cashew nuts – 10 nos. (optional)
Raisins – 10 nos. (optional)
Coriander leaves (kothamalli) – 3 sprigs
Ghee – 1 tablespoon
Salt – as desired
For Garnish (Optional)
Ghee – 2 teaspoon (for garnishing)
Sliced onions – 1/2 no. (for garnishing)
1. In a pressure cooker, heat Ghee and add bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, and cardamoms. Then add onions followed by green chillies.
2. Fry onions and green chillies until onions turn transparent. Add cashew nuts and raisins. Adding raisins is optional.
3. Saute until cashew nuts turn golden brown and raisins become large in size. Then, add grated carrot.
4. Saute the grated carrot for four to five minutes. Now add the washed rice and stir well.
5. Add four cups of water and when the water starts to boil, add coriander leaves followed by salt.
6. Close the cooker lid, put weight and cook for three whistles. Wait till the pressure comes down completely and then open the cooker lid.
7. For garnishing: Heat two teaspoons of Ghee in a pan. Add onions and fry until they turn crispy brown. Now, garnish the French Biryani using the fried onions. This step is optional. I do it for extra flavor.
Now, French Biryani is ready!
Serve. Spicy curry and Raita